Job Opening: Director of Programming & Content
WRVO Public Media
Position summary: The Director of Programming and Content (DPC) is the chief administrator of programming and related projects, responsible for supervising on-air hosts and serving as administrative liaison with outside program producers and funders. The DPC will work closely with the General Manager to develop collaborations with regional organizations that cultivate community engagement. The DPC will also work closely with the Director of News and Public Affairs to schedule and staff coverage of issues of significance in the communities served by WRVO's ten-station network.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Duties and responsibilities:
- Work with General Manager to oversee scheduling and promotion of daily news/talk programming consistent with WRVO Public Media's highly successful news and public affairs format.
- Seek and respond to calls-for-proposals for grant-funded radio projects; prepare grant applications, recruit and organize project collaborators and production teams, execute program-related grant administration, and, where appropriate, arrange syndication of programs for broader distribution.
- Work closely with on-air hosts, operations staff and the Director of News and Public Affairs to schedule and produce regional public affairs programming and other in-house productions.
- Recruit and supervise on-air hosts, program production staff and student interns. Serve as back-up on-air host and public affairs program moderator, supervise Program Operations Manager, Senior Project Producer, other on-air staff and student interns.
- Serve as chief liaison with program distributors including NPR, APM, PRI, PRX.
- Participate in events with donors, program underwriters and other stakeholders as assigned.
Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelors degree (required) or Masters degree (preferred) from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Experience in radio program production and supervision.
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- Experience in grant-seeking and grant administration (preferred).
- Experience as a successful on-air host (required - must provide audio samples)
- Ability to work effectively on deadline.
WRVO Public Media is a multi-station network with an NPR News/Information format serving Central and Northern New York. WRVO offices and studios are located on the campus of the State University of New York College at Oswego.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume and names, affiliations, addresses and phone numbers of three professional references electronically to
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Official transcripts will be required prior to appointment. SUNY Oswego is an Affirmative Action Employer. No phone calls.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, gender, or sexual orientation.