Job Opening: Morning News Producer/Reporter
The Morning News Producer/Reporter position includes producing WRVO’s morning newscasts and on-air news reporting. The producer/reporter will produce and write multiple regional news cut-ins of high quality. The producer/reporter will be responsible for producing daily on-air news reports for broadcast that fit WRVO’s mission to provide coverage of issues of regional significance.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Produce and write multiple morning newscasts, airing during NPR’s Morning Edition
- Produce multiplatform content on a daily basis including -- broadcast news spots, broadcast feature stories and on-line stories
- Pitch story ideas and follow regional news issues and stories
- Edit and copy edit broadcast and on-line stories
- Contribute to overall news department’s output, including social media
- Must have authoritative, conversational on-air delivery
- Exercise solid news judgment and ability to perform without supervision
- Ability to multitask, work under deadline pressure and problem solve
- Strong knowledge of current regional news issues
- Assist in training/mentoring of interns
- Participate in station and community-building events
Qualifications and Education Required:
- Minimum two years on-air broadcast news experience
- Bachelor’s degree – journalism or related field preferred
- Experience writing for broadcast and web
- Ability to use audio editing systems, such as Adobe Audition
- Ability to gather audio in the field
- On-air hosting experience preferred
- Ability to work early morning shift, or other shifts as necessary
- Driver’s license ability to drive to news coverage assignments within region
WRVO Public Media is a multi-station network with an NPR News/Information format serving Central and Northern New York. WRVO offices and studios are located on the campus of the State University of New York College at Oswego.
To Apply: Submit electronically the following: cover letter, resume and contact information including names, affiliations, addresses and phone numbers of three professional references electronically to:
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Official transcripts will be required prior to appointment. WRVO is an Affirmative Action Employer. No phone calls will be accepted.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, gender, or sexual orientation.