Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
Isaiah Sheffer is co-founder with Allan Miller of Symphony Space and serves as its artistic director, now preparing for the theatre's 30th anniversary season. At Symphony Space, he hosts and directs the long-running hit series "Selected Shorts" — live, on tour and in its PRI radio incarnation across the country. He also stages the annual James Joyce celebration "Bloomsday on Broadway," as he has every year on June 16 for the past 26 years. With Martin Sage, Sheffer creates the theatre's hit political cabaret, "The Thalia Follies," writing lyrics and comedy sketches, and performing in such diverse genres as rap, show tunes, exalted poetry and nutty characters.
Sheffer's writing for the stage and screen includes the book and lyrics to two successful musicals, "The Rise of David Levinsky" and "Yiddle with a Fiddle," as well as an original play about Isaac Bashevis Singer, "Demons and Dreamers," and the libretto for the baroque ballet on the subject of the 1787 Constitutional Convention, "A More Perfect Union." In 2006, he launched Symphony Space's Summer Stock on Broadway with a Rodgers and Hart reconstructed musical, "Manhattan Madcaps of 1924," by Jerzy Turnpike. His television writing includes scripts for the PBS series, "Millenium: The Music of Ten Centuries," and he is the author of the screenplay for the film "A Pair of Jokers," which starred Jerry Stiller.