Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
- Air Force plane found deep below Lake Ontario from 1952 crash
Alabama Hostage Standoff Continues
The standoff continues this morning in Midland City, Ala., where a 5-year-old boy has been held captive in an underground bunker since Tuesday, when a gunman abducted him from a school bus after killing the driver.
Authorities are talking to the suspect, 65-year-old Jimmy Lee Dykes, through a pipe that leads to the bunker. Local Sheriff Wally Olson, according to AL.com, says "there is no reason to believe the child has been harmed."
Idaho's KHQ-TV spoke with a sister of the fatally wounded bus driver, who authorities say had tried to stop the gunman from taking any of the children. Vicki Upchurch says her brother, Charles Poland, "would have done anything to protect those kids."