Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- Drone test site secures half its startup funding with state grant
- World War II veteran honored with Purple Heart 70 years after turning it down
More News From WRVO
Amsterdam Officials Respond to Meningitis Death
By Elizabeth Christensen
Amsterdam, NY – Health officials in the Capitol Region are responding to the death of an Amsterdam High School junior from bacteral meningitis.
17 year old Matthew Martuscello died early Wednesday after contracting the disease on a band trip to California.
Fulton/Montgomery County Health Department officials are working with the Amsterdam School District to treat those who had close contact with Martuscello with a course of antibiotics.
Amsterdam superintendent of schools, Ron Limoncelli, says they are encouraging anyone who thinks they may have been exposed to see their doctor.
Another Amsterdam student has been diagnosed with bacterial meningitis.
Josh Fanta, a bandmate of Martuscello, is expected to make a full recovery. He will be released from Saint Mary's Hospital in Amsterdam in a few days.