Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
- Air Force plane found deep below Lake Ontario from 1952 crash
More News From WRVO
Amsterdam Officials Respond to Meningitis Death
By Elizabeth Christensen
Amsterdam, NY – Health officials in the Capitol Region are responding to the death of an Amsterdam High School junior from bacteral meningitis.
17 year old Matthew Martuscello died early Wednesday after contracting the disease on a band trip to California.
Fulton/Montgomery County Health Department officials are working with the Amsterdam School District to treat those who had close contact with Martuscello with a course of antibiotics.
Amsterdam superintendent of schools, Ron Limoncelli, says they are encouraging anyone who thinks they may have been exposed to see their doctor.
Another Amsterdam student has been diagnosed with bacterial meningitis.
Josh Fanta, a bandmate of Martuscello, is expected to make a full recovery. He will be released from Saint Mary's Hospital in Amsterdam in a few days.