Most Active Stories
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Tell Me More will leave WRVO's midday schedule; Q with Jian Ghomeshi moves in
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
- Novelis defends itself in court against allegations of influencing union vote
More News From WRVO
Another Case of Buyer Beware
By Jasmyn Belcher
Oswego, NY – Solicitors with an energy supplier operating throughout North America are knocking on doors in Central New York, asking consumers to sign up for price protection.
This company is called Direct Energy. They sell electricity and natural gas in 20 states across the U.S. and in Canada. Thousands of Upstate New Yorkers have signed up to receive their energy through this supplier. For the last three years, Direct Energy has been offering competitive electric and natural gas prices within the Syracuse-area National Grid territory.
But some Central New Yorkers and a business group question Direct Energy's marketing tactics. WRVO's Jasmyn Belcher has more.
Meanwhile Oswego police have arrested several people reportedly working for Direct Energy.
Oswego police say they were notified of suspicious people traveling door-to-door soliciting the sale of energy. After an investigation, three solicitors were found to be violating the city's hawking and peddling ordinance...meaning they were selling without a permit.
Police are advising residents who are approached by high pressure solicitors to ask for references and notify authorities immediately.
To register a complaint with the NYS Public Service Commission:
more PSC information
To contact Direct Energy:
Call 1-866-348-4193 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org