Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
- Growing plants from seed ensures getting what you paid for
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
Politics and Government
Assembly Speaker offers support to education lobbyists, criticizes Gov. Cuomo
Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver offered his support to lobbyists for more school aid funding, and offered a subtle criticism to Governor Andrew Cuomo.
Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, addressing three hundred or so parents and school children brought to Albany by the Alliance for Quality Education, offered an answer to Governor Andrew Cuomo’s recent assertion that He is the lobbyist for the students.
“I would respectfully disagree with the governor on one point,” said Silver . “The most powerful lobbying group for the students is their parents, and that’s beyond dispute.”
Afterward, Silver said that while the governor and legislature are locked in to a prior agreement to increase school funding this year by 4% from last year, he does not think it is “enough”.