Most Active Stories
- Some billing relief for National Grid customers after bitter winter
- Cortland among counties to pull out of SAFE Act pilot program
- Wegmans takes a stance on genetically modified food
- String of heroin overdoses stresses prevention drug training
- Groups call growing oil shipments in NY Cuomo's "Keystone" moment
It's All Politics
Bachmann Casts Herself As Thatcher-Style 'Iron Lady' In Last Iowa Ad
Repeating a theme she's been using frequently in recent days, Rep. Michele Bachmann's last TV ad before Tuesday's Iowa caucuses makes the case that she's an American "Iron Lady" in the style of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.
The Star Tribune says of the Minnesota congresswoman's message that:
"Bachmann's transition from describing her 'titanium spine' to comparing herself to Britain's iconic 'Iron Lady' marks the congresswoman's closest flirtation with gender politics, something she has largely avoided in her long-shot quest for the White House.
"But it also raises questions about a possible gender barrier she could face in the closing days of Tuesday's contest in Iowa."
After winning the mostly symbolic Iowa straw poll last August, Bachmann has seen her poll numbers in the state fall into single digits.