Most Active Stories
- Drum numbers likely dropping – but no cause for alarm
- Cape Vincent tells state: we want decision on wind farm
- Syracuse takes "first step" toward seizing old Hotel Syracuse
- Modernized "Music Man" production gives Syracuse student actors new experience
- Congress saves fire hydrants from scrap yard over lead rules
Better-Than-Expected Jobs Report Lifts Markets
The Labor Department announced Friday that 200,000 jobs were created in December, and the U.S. unemployment rate fell to 8.5 percent. The new hiring came largely in transportation and warehousing. Tens of thousands of other people found jobs in retail and manufacturing.