Most Active Stories
- Groups call growing oil shipments in NY Cuomo's "Keystone" moment
- National Grid says supply costs, cold temperatures impacted winter electric rate spikes
- Nuclear waste facility in political and environmental limbo
- Death is hard, but hospice can help patients and families
- App turns social media posts into charity dollars
The Upstate Economy
Bill Owens reaches out to Canadian companies
Representative Bill Owens is working to increase economic ties between the North Country and Canadian businesses.
The Democrat held a series of meetings in Canada this week in an effort to entice more Canadian companies to look to Northern New York for expansion.
Several Canadian companies like Bombardier have operations in the North Country. Owens says he wants more companies to follow suit.
"What’s we’re trying to do is let people know that we are open for business at every level. Whether it’s manufacturing, whether it’s service industries, or whether it is simply import and export activity. Virtually everything that happens that is a trade-based activity will help us create jobs," Owens said.
The congressman says about 20,000 people in the North Country work for companies with Canadian ties. Owens also has held roundtable talks in New York.
Politics and Government