Most Active Stories
- Some billing relief for National Grid customers after bitter winter
- Cortland among counties to pull out of SAFE Act pilot program
- Wegmans takes a stance on genetically modified food
- String of heroin overdoses stresses prevention drug training
- Groups call growing oil shipments in NY Cuomo's "Keystone" moment
Binges Of 'High-Beta Rich' Shake Up U.S. Economy
"The rich are not only getting richer, they are becoming more dangerous," Robert Frank writes in his new book The High-Beta Rich: How the Manic Wealthy Will Take Us to the Next Boom, Bubble and Bust.
The spending binges of the top 1%, he says, are "the most unstable force in the economy."
Frank talks with NPR's Neal Conan about how some of the inhabitants of Richistan — a land of private jets, yachts and million-dollar watches — have lost their fortunes, and taken average Americans with them.