Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
More News From WRVO
Block on Wine Shipping Barred
By Associated Press
New York – A federal judge has ruled that a law banning out-of-state wineries from directly shipping wine to New York consumers is unconstitutional.
U-S District Judge Richard Berman made the ruling in a case brought by "Swedenburg Estate Vineyards" in Virginia.
The New York law is similar to laws in 29 other states. It requires that imported liquors be distributed only through licensed wholesalers and retailers to ensure accountability and that taxes are paid.
Berman found the state law to be discriminatory since New York allows in-state wineries to ship directly to New York consumers.