Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
- Growing plants from seed ensures getting what you paid for
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
More News From WRVO
Block on Wine Shipping Barred
By Associated Press
New York – A federal judge has ruled that a law banning out-of-state wineries from directly shipping wine to New York consumers is unconstitutional.
U-S District Judge Richard Berman made the ruling in a case brought by "Swedenburg Estate Vineyards" in Virginia.
The New York law is similar to laws in 29 other states. It requires that imported liquors be distributed only through licensed wholesalers and retailers to ensure accountability and that taxes are paid.
Berman found the state law to be discriminatory since New York allows in-state wineries to ship directly to New York consumers.