Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- Drone test site secures half its startup funding with state grant
- World War II veteran honored with Purple Heart 70 years after turning it down
A Bombing In Syria Wipes Out A Family, But A Baby Survives
The northern Syrian city of Aleppo has been the site of the bloodiest recent fighting in that country's brutal war, and we're still getting only glimpses of the violence.
But GlobalPost has a striking video of a devastating bombing that killed an entire family — except for a 1-year-old boy who survived without any serious injuries.
The video speaks for itself and needs only the briefest explanation.
A helicopter air strike pummeled the three-story apartment building, according to reporter Tracey Shelton. Rescuers then sifted through the rubble by hand, but it appeared that everyone in one family had been killed.
But after six hours of searching, rescuers found Hassan, a one-year-old boy who was "discovered unscathed, still cradled [in his mother's] lifeless arms," Shelton reports.