Most Active Stories
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
- Tell Me More will leave WRVO's midday schedule; Q with Jian Ghomeshi moves in
- Novelis defends itself in court against allegations of influencing union vote
More News From WRVO
Book Unearths Tale of Oswego Normal Basketball Team
By Dave Bullard
Oswego, NY – Students and faculty at SUNY Oswego present the results of their research at the annual Quest symposium.
There will be some dense scientific and academic topics.
And then there will be the story of the college's own basketball team and how they came oh-so-close to a national Championship 100 years ago.
WRVO's Dave Bullard spoke with the SUNY Oswego's Tim Nerkritz, whose research for a book on the college's history unearthed the tale of the Oswego Normal basketball team, five guys studying to be teachers, including one player who accidentally sawed off the tip of his finger in the off-season.
The year before, they would upset powerhouse Yale and got the attention of the sporting world.