Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
Apple Expected To Buy Beats Electronics
Originally published on Mon May 12, 2014 3:26 pm
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
NPR's business news starts with iPhones and headphones.
Apple is set to buy Beats Electronics for more than $3 billion. That's according to a report in the Financial Times. Beats is a headphone maker founded by hip-hop star Dr. Dre and the producer Jimmy Iovine.
Ironically, Iovine has said the inspiration to found Beats six years ago was the poor quality headphones that Apple put in with its products. He offered a better alternative, and Apple hobbled the old adage - if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.