Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Drone test site secures half its startup funding with state grant
Politics and Government
Debate: Amy Tresidder and Patty Ritchie on the Campbell Conversations
Except for a brief stint with Darrel Aubertine, the 48th State Senate district has been a Republican stronghold. Amy Tresidder is trying to upset that pattern this fall, and in this week’s edition of the Campbell Conversations Grant Reeher engages both Tresidder and the incumbent Senator Patty Ritchie in a debate-style conversation.
The candidates agree about their overall fiscal conservatism, but they clash over home-rule on local tax authority, whether Albany has actually provided mandate relief, and more generally whether state government is significantly more functional now than it was two years ago.