Most Active Stories
- Groups call growing oil shipments in NY Cuomo's "Keystone" moment
- National Grid says supply costs, cold temperatures impacted winter electric rate spikes
- Nuclear waste facility in political and environmental limbo
- Death is hard, but hospice can help patients and families
- App turns social media posts into charity dollars
More News From WRVO
Fighting New York's Mixed Martial Arts Ban
By Jasmyn Belcher
Salamanca, NY – While boxing, wrestling and martial arts competitions are legal in New York State, mixing the sports together is not.
Governor David Paterson wants to legalize mixed martial arts fights to tax the tickets and raise money for the state. This isn't sitting well with some doctors groups and lawmakers who call the sport primitive and dangerous.
WRVO's Jasmyn Belcher looked into the sport, to find out why this type of fighting has state leaders in conflict.
Photos: by Michael Benjamin