Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
More News From WRVO
Fighting New York's Mixed Martial Arts Ban
By Jasmyn Belcher
Salamanca, NY – While boxing, wrestling and martial arts competitions are legal in New York State, mixing the sports together is not.
Governor David Paterson wants to legalize mixed martial arts fights to tax the tickets and raise money for the state. This isn't sitting well with some doctors groups and lawmakers who call the sport primitive and dangerous.
WRVO's Jasmyn Belcher looked into the sport, to find out why this type of fighting has state leaders in conflict.
Photos: by Michael Benjamin