Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Drone test site secures half its startup funding with state grant
More News From WRVO
Fighting New York's Mixed Martial Arts Ban
By Jasmyn Belcher
Salamanca, NY – While boxing, wrestling and martial arts competitions are legal in New York State, mixing the sports together is not.
Governor David Paterson wants to legalize mixed martial arts fights to tax the tickets and raise money for the state. This isn't sitting well with some doctors groups and lawmakers who call the sport primitive and dangerous.
WRVO's Jasmyn Belcher looked into the sport, to find out why this type of fighting has state leaders in conflict.
Photos: by Michael Benjamin