Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
First African Nobel Peace Prize Winner Dies
After a long battle with cancer, Wangari Maathai died at age 71. As one of Kenya's most recognizable female figures, she won the Nobel in 2004 for combining environmentalism and social activism. She spent over 30 years mobilizing women to plant 30 million trees in the Green Belt Movement.