Most Active Stories
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
- No bones about it, Utica College students learn more than anthropology in Albania
- Novelis defends itself in court against allegations of influencing union vote
More News From WRVO
Fiscal Conservatives Criticize Pataki
By Chris Ulanowski
New York, New York – Governor Pataki has proposed borrowing four billion dollars from the state's tobacco settlement fund to help relieve New York's mounting fiscal crisis.
That has some fiscal conservatives fuming.
Chairman of the state's Conservative party, Michael Long, says using the tobacco money is wrong.
He says it will increase New York's indebtedness.
Long says the fiscal crisis will be solved in the long term by sound economic development initiatives, not by throwing money at the problem.