Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Winter storm brings heavy snow to the region
- Closings and cancelations for Wednesday
- Oswego County nuclear plant shut down for the second time in less than a week
More News From WRVO
Fort Drum Generates $1.5 Billion to Northern New York in 2009
By Ryan Morden
Oswego, NY – According to Fort Drum, the army post generated $1.5 billion for the Northern New York Economy in 2009.
Most of the money comes from payroll to soldiers, contractors and civilians that work at the base.
The economic impact in 2009 was down slightly from 2008.
Julie Curpernall is a spokeswoman with Fort Drum. She said the decrease is because there was a transition between construction projects.
"That is largely from the change of construction from last year to this year," said Cupernall, "While there's still millions and millions of dollars in construction happening, we are wrapping up some major projects."
The projects include new housing, office space and a dining facility.
Cupernall said the population at Fort Drum increased very rapidly during the past decade and the infrastructure is just now catching up.