Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
- Air Force plane found deep below Lake Ontario from 1952 crash
All Tech Considered
Friday Feline Fun: A Ranking Of The Most Famous Internet Cats
Originally published on Mon July 14, 2014 10:41 am
For reasons I can't fully understand, the Internet loves its cats. Keyboard Cat and Grumpy Cat are household names, I Can Haz Cheezeburger is a digital empire, and my real-life cats are on a social networking site called Catster (this is not a joke).
So you've got to wonder how it took a cat food company this long to come up with this: the Friskies 50, a definitive list of cat influencers, powered by an algorithm that adjusts monthly depending on a cat's social media reach, engagement across various social platforms, and mentions in traditional news outlets.
Herewith, the top 20 cats, and you can see the full list for more:
To close this out, here's a classic from Maru, my personal favorite Internet cat (ranked No. 14 on the power list).