Most Active Stories
- Adams company dominates the runway business
- Oswego revokes Brookfield's right to post warning signs along Oswego River
- Going green: the health benefits of green tea
- Sleeping off the weight: new research on the relationship between sleep and your metabolism
- City vs. suburban divide apparent from future of I-81 surveys
Gillibrand Predicts FEMA Infusion
OSWEGO, NY (wrvo) - Senator Kirsten Gillibrand says a lot of senators were not there for Monday's failed effort to pass new funds for the Federal Emergency Management Agency to assist victims of natural disasters in New York and nationwide.
Senate Republicans blocked Democrats' move to quickly pass 7-billion dollars in additional funds for FEMA, which says it only has some $300 million left in its coffers. Damage estimates in New York State alone could exceed $1 billion.
Gillibrand today told reporters that with more senators from disaster states present, chances are good that the Senate will vote to replenish FEMA's funds, possibly this afternoon.