Most Active Stories
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
- Tell Me More will leave WRVO's midday schedule; Q with Jian Ghomeshi moves in
- Novelis defends itself in court against allegations of influencing union vote
GOP nominates candidate to challenge Maffei
Former federal prosecutor John Katko has won the endorsement of the Republican Party in the race for the 24th Congressional District. He garnered enough votes out of a field of seven candidates, to get the nomination on one ballot at a GOP convention in Syracuse Saturday.
At least one candidate who lost the party nod, Ian Hunter, says will begin the process of challenging Katko in a June primary. Three others candidates haven’t ruled out that possibility. Republicans are hoping to wrest the seat from incumbent Democrat Rep. Dan Maffei.
Politics and Government