Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
GOP nominates candidate to challenge Maffei
Former federal prosecutor John Katko has won the endorsement of the Republican Party in the race for the 24th Congressional District. He garnered enough votes out of a field of seven candidates, to get the nomination on one ballot at a GOP convention in Syracuse Saturday.
At least one candidate who lost the party nod, Ian Hunter, says will begin the process of challenging Katko in a June primary. Three others candidates haven’t ruled out that possibility. Republicans are hoping to wrest the seat from incumbent Democrat Rep. Dan Maffei.
Politics and Government