Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
Hawkins to Bid for New York House Seat
By Chris Ulanowski
Syracuse, NY – Howie Hawkins of Syracuse, New York is running as the Green Populist candidate for the New York 25th Congressional district seat in the U.S. House of Representatives. Hawkins has previously run for the seat, as well for U.S. Senate.
Hawkins believes that the Democratic and Republican candidates for the seat are not addressing the desires of voters.
"There are a number of urgent issues that we don't see the two major party candidates addressing," Hawkins said.
"First of all, a majority of folks want to get out of Iraq. What we're hearing from the Republicans is 'stay in Iraq.' From the Democrats, 'end the war' as a slogan, but you look at the details of their platform and they're going to keep a residual force of 50,000-100,000 troops plus another 100,000 mercenaries, and continue the occupation with new tactics. That keeps us in the same quagmire," Hawkins added.
Other issues Hawkins says he will promote are a national health insurance program, economic support for the middle and lower classes, including a living wage, the end of the Patriot Act, and prosecution of officials who "engaged in crimes against the constitution and humanity."