Most Active Stories
- Offshore wind energy faces setbacks in Great Lakes
- Fireman's Association says leave the pyrotechnics to the professionals
- Severe storms kill 3 people in Madison County, damage homes, cause power outages throughout region
- Susan Wood and Thomas Drake on The Campbell Conversations
- Red to green: Syracuse working to upgrade traffic signal system
Help Wanted: Polar Bear Spotters
Originally published on Fri May 3, 2013 12:14 pm
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm David Greene with a summer job opportunity - if you're willing to move to the Arctic Circle and if you're not afraid of bears. The Norwegian government is looking for the polar bear spotters. Your job: to warn researchers when bears come in a little too close. A successful candidate should enjoy the outdoors and be competent with firearms. An official said polar bear spotters will not have to fire a gun as long as they have a loud voice to scare off bears. That's reassuring.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.