Most Active Stories
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
- Tell Me More will leave WRVO's midday schedule; Q with Jian Ghomeshi moves in
- Novelis defends itself in court against allegations of influencing union vote
Indiana Stage Collapse Claims Sixth Person's Life
Sad news from the Indianapolis Star:
"Jennifer Haskell, 22, a senior at Ball State University, died this morning from injuries suffered in Saturday's stage collapse at the Indiana State Fair.
"Haskell is the sixth person to die as a result of the tragedy, when a stage setup collapsed on fans prior to a Sugarland concert. The event also killed Haskell's best friend, Alina Bigjohny, 23, who was hired in July to teach English at Wilson Middle School in Muncie."
Dozens of people were injured when a storm blew through the fairgrounds and collapsed the stage.
The disaster has renewed questions about safety inspections of outdoor stages and whether fair authorities should have canceled the show well before bad weather arrived.