Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Winter storm to bring heavy snow to the region Wednesday and Thursday
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- Oswego County nuclear plant shut down for the second time in less than a week
Indiana Stage Collapse Claims Sixth Person's Life
Sad news from the Indianapolis Star:
"Jennifer Haskell, 22, a senior at Ball State University, died this morning from injuries suffered in Saturday's stage collapse at the Indiana State Fair.
"Haskell is the sixth person to die as a result of the tragedy, when a stage setup collapsed on fans prior to a Sugarland concert. The event also killed Haskell's best friend, Alina Bigjohny, 23, who was hired in July to teach English at Wilson Middle School in Muncie."
Dozens of people were injured when a storm blew through the fairgrounds and collapsed the stage.
The disaster has renewed questions about safety inspections of outdoor stages and whether fair authorities should have canceled the show well before bad weather arrived.