Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
Indiana Stage Collapse Claims Sixth Person's Life
Sad news from the Indianapolis Star:
"Jennifer Haskell, 22, a senior at Ball State University, died this morning from injuries suffered in Saturday's stage collapse at the Indiana State Fair.
"Haskell is the sixth person to die as a result of the tragedy, when a stage setup collapsed on fans prior to a Sugarland concert. The event also killed Haskell's best friend, Alina Bigjohny, 23, who was hired in July to teach English at Wilson Middle School in Muncie."
Dozens of people were injured when a storm blew through the fairgrounds and collapsed the stage.
The disaster has renewed questions about safety inspections of outdoor stages and whether fair authorities should have canceled the show well before bad weather arrived.