Most Active Stories
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
- Growing plants from seed ensures getting what you paid for
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
Jeanne Theoharis on the Campbell Conversations
Jeanne Theoharis has recently published the definitive biography of Rosa Parks. In this edition of the Campbell Conversations, the Brooklyn College Professor counters the many myths held by the public about Parks's life--describing for example the long history of activism and organizing prior to her famous act of civil disobedience, and her affinity for the black power movement and Malcolm X.
The Rosa Parks that Theoharis discovered in writing the book emerged as even more courageous and powerful than she had assumed she'd find going into the project.