Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
- Growing plants from seed ensures getting what you paid for
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
Politics and Government
Joanie Mahoney on The Campbell Conversations
Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney works on the front lines of the "unfunded mandate" issue, a phrase we've been hearing with increasing frequency at all levels of political discussion. What exactly is the problem with unfunded mandates?
From the county executive's perspective, they tie her hands regarding innovation and efficiency, and introduce some fundamental problems for good governance. The conversation also explores the local political scene in Syracuse, in particular the souring of the political tone during the past year. Would she ever consider becoming a conservative Democrat rather than a liberal Republican? Listen and find out.