Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
Jobless Claims Dip Below 400,000
There were 397,000 first-time claims for unemployment benefits last week, down 9,000 from the week before, the Employment and Training Administration just reported.
There have been a few signs recently that the economy may be on slightly firmer footing — most notably, word that gross domestic product grew at an estimated 2.5 percent annual rate in the third quarter.
We'll get more data Friday when the Bureau of Labor Statistics releases its figures on the October unemployment rate and, hopefully, job growth. The nation's jobless rate was an estimated 9.1 percent in September.