Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Winter storm brings heavy snow to the region
- Closings and cancelations for Wednesday
- Oswego County nuclear plant shut down for the second time in less than a week
Jobless Claims Ticked Down Again, Consumer Spending Edged Up
There were 2,000 fewer first-time claims for unemployment last week than in the week before, the Employment and Training Administration reports.
It says there were 351,000 such filings.
Note: Last week, the agency also said there were 351,000 such claims in the previous week. But today, it has revised that figure to 353,000. That explains the estimated 2,000-claims decline. Regardless, claims remain at a four-year-low.
In other economic news, the Bureau of Economic Analysis says consumer spending rose a modest 0.2 percent in January from December. Personal incomes rose 0.3 percent.