Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Winter storm brings heavy snow to the region
- Closings and cancelations for Wednesday
- Oswego County nuclear plant shut down for the second time in less than a week
For Lakota Sioux Family, A Fight To Keep Contact
In South Dakota, Native Americans comprise less than 15 percent of the population but their children make up 60 percent of youth placed in foster care. More than three years ago, the state's Department of Social Services placed two of Suzanne Crow's grandchildren into foster care, saying their mother neglected them. Crow spent much of her own childhood in a boarding school, where she was forbidden from speaking Lakota and says harsh consequences awaited those who disobeyed rules. She speaks with Michel Martin.