Most Active Stories
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
- Tell Me More will leave WRVO's midday schedule; Q with Jian Ghomeshi moves in
- Novelis defends itself in court against allegations of influencing union vote
Politics and Government
Local members of Congress offer comment on Obama's Syria decision
Some area members of Congress say they support President Barack Obama's decision to seek congressional approval for a military strike against Syria.
North Country Rep. Bill Owens said in a press release that he is "encouraged" by the president's plan to seek authorization from lawmakers. But the Democrat did not say how he would vote on such a measure.
Rep. Tom Reed, a Republican from the Finger Lakes and Southern Tier area, told the Buffalo News that the president's plan to involve Congress is a "positive step."
Syracuse-area Congressman Dan Maffei was one of about 140 lawmakers who signed a letter to the president last week saying military action in Syria without congressional action would be unconstitutional.
Senators Kirsten Gillibrand and Charles Schumer both said last week they would support limited action in Syria.