Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
- Growing plants from seed ensures getting what you paid for
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
Politics and Government
Local members of Congress offer comment on Obama's Syria decision
Some area members of Congress say they support President Barack Obama's decision to seek congressional approval for a military strike against Syria.
North Country Rep. Bill Owens said in a press release that he is "encouraged" by the president's plan to seek authorization from lawmakers. But the Democrat did not say how he would vote on such a measure.
Rep. Tom Reed, a Republican from the Finger Lakes and Southern Tier area, told the Buffalo News that the president's plan to involve Congress is a "positive step."
Syracuse-area Congressman Dan Maffei was one of about 140 lawmakers who signed a letter to the president last week saying military action in Syria without congressional action would be unconstitutional.
Senators Kirsten Gillibrand and Charles Schumer both said last week they would support limited action in Syria.