Most Active Stories
- Some billing relief for National Grid customers after bitter winter
- Cortland among counties to pull out of SAFE Act pilot program
- Wegmans takes a stance on genetically modified food
- Groups call growing oil shipments in NY Cuomo's "Keystone" moment
- Nuclear waste facility in political and environmental limbo
More News From WRVO
Local soup kitchen feeds a growing number of hungry people
By Katie Husband, WRVO intern
Lacona, NY – Unemployment rose in the Syracuse area during November, to eight percent. one county, Oswego County, hit ten percent unemployment in November.
And now that jobless benefits are running out for some people who have been jobless for a long time, it will put more pressure on community agencies who help people in need.
WRVO intern Katie Husband gives us a look at hunger in a small town, as she visits a community soup kitchen in Lacona, along Oswego County's northern edge.