Most Active Stories
- Drum numbers likely dropping – but no cause for alarm
- Cape Vincent tells state: we want decision on wind farm
- Syracuse takes "first step" toward seizing old Hotel Syracuse
- Modernized "Music Man" production gives Syracuse student actors new experience
- Congress saves fire hydrants from scrap yard over lead rules
Loving Dogs In Toms River, N.J.
When a doglover gets to an age when she can't care for a dog anymore, it can be a huge loss.
Since 2009, Simon, a Golden Retriever and his owner, Pat, have been visiting Alice — who is 94 years old and legally blind — in her home near Toms River.
For years, Alice enjoyed the companionship of a dog. Now because of health problems, she cannot. So every week she looks forward to her visits with Pat and Simon, who are part of the Caregiver Canines program.
Our volunteers — human and canine — visit the elderly and those with Alzheimer's disease.
Lynette Whiteman is Executive Director of Caregiver Volunteers of Central Jersey. She listens to WNYC.