Most Active Stories
- Offshore wind energy faces setbacks in Great Lakes
- Fireman's Association says leave the pyrotechnics to the professionals
- Severe storms kill 3 people in Madison County, damage homes, cause power outages throughout region
- Red to green: Syracuse working to upgrade traffic signal system
- Susan Wood and Thomas Drake on The Campbell Conversations
Loving Dogs In Toms River, N.J.
When a doglover gets to an age when she can't care for a dog anymore, it can be a huge loss.
Since 2009, Simon, a Golden Retriever and his owner, Pat, have been visiting Alice — who is 94 years old and legally blind — in her home near Toms River.
For years, Alice enjoyed the companionship of a dog. Now because of health problems, she cannot. So every week she looks forward to her visits with Pat and Simon, who are part of the Caregiver Canines program.
Our volunteers — human and canine — visit the elderly and those with Alzheimer's disease.
Lynette Whiteman is Executive Director of Caregiver Volunteers of Central Jersey. She listens to WNYC.