Most Active Stories
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
- No bones about it, Utica College students learn more than anthropology in Albania
- Novelis defends itself in court against allegations of influencing union vote
More News From WRVO
Miner Urges 'Positive Action And Reaction' To Arizona Shooting
By Michael Benjamin
New York, NY – Mayor Stephanie Miner says she knows Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ), and considers her a friend.
Speaking at an event for New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's coalition - Mayors Against Illegal Guns - yesterday, Miner said Syracuse has seen its share of gun violence as well. She said the recent incidents show a need to reflect, and to use the violence for action she calls "a force for good."
"On behalf of the people of the city of Syracuse who have witnessed so much gun violence," said Miner, "and as somebody who calls Gabby Giffords a friend, I would urge everyone to get involved and make sure that we have a positive action and reaction to this tragedy."
Miner was joined at the event by Congressman Peter King (R-NY), who has introduced legislation making it illegal to bring a gun within 1,000 feet of a government official.