Most Active Stories
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
- Novelis defends itself in court against allegations of influencing union vote
- No bones about it, Utica College students learn more than anthropology in Albania
New commanding general takes helm at Fort Drum
Major General Stephen Townsend has taken over command of Fort Drum and the 10th Mountain Division following a ceremony at the post yesterday morning.
During Monday's ceremony on post, Major General Mark Milley relinquished control to Major General Stephen Townsend. Townsend had been serving as the director of the Pakistan/Afghsanistan Coordination Cell for the Joint Staff in Washington, D.C. He said his first job is preparing for planned deployments of parts of two brigades to Afghanistan this winter.
"We have 1st Brigade and 2nd Brigade Combat Teams taking specially task-organized teams of advisors to Afghanistan, to further our nation's efforts there. And that's my job one, is to get up to speed on that," he said.
Townsend has served at Fort Drum before, and he and Milley's careers have followed similar paths, with Townsend in 2009 taking over from Milley as deputy commanding general for operations of the 101st Airborne Division housed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
Milley has been nominated for promotion to the rank of lieutenant general and to take over as commanding general of III Corps and Fort Hood in Texas.