Most Active Stories
- Groups call growing oil shipments in NY Cuomo's "Keystone" moment
- National Grid says supply costs, cold temperatures impacted winter electric rate spikes
- Nuclear waste facility in political and environmental limbo
- Death is hard, but hospice can help patients and families
- App turns social media posts into charity dollars
New Venezuelan Ministry Focuses On 'Supreme Social Happiness'
Originally published on Mon October 28, 2013 8:00 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Steve Inskeep.
Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro has not had a great year. After a winning a disputed election, he faces inflation near 50 percent. Supplies of basic goods like toilet paper have run low. But now Maduro is acting. He created a new Vice Ministry of Supreme Social Happiness. It's supposed to coordinate services for the poor. We do not know of the Happiness Ministry will work but it has given a practical benefit, causing people to laugh.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.