Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
More News From WRVO
New York State targets a dangerous plant
By Dave Bullard/WRVO
ALBANY, NY – It sounds like something out of a bad movie: Imagine a plant that looks like a common weed, but can grow to 20 feet tall. The sap of this weed can burn your skin or leave you blind.
It's not the stuff of science fiction. It's an actual plant - an invasive species called Giant Hogweed.
The state Department of Environmental Conservation is trying to take out the nasty invaders.
WRVO's Dave Bullard spoke with the DEC's top official in the fight, Naja Kraus.