Most Active Stories
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
- No bones about it, Utica College students learn more than anthropology in Albania
- Novelis defends itself in court against allegations of influencing union vote
More News From WRVO
North Country food pantries get emergency help to cope with rising numbers
By Joanna Richards/WRVO
WATERTOWN, NY – The city of Watertown this week granted two food pantries' requests for special funding to buy more emergency food aid.
The pantries say they always see more need in summer, when children on free or reduced-price school breakfasts and lunches don't receive those meals.
But WRVO North Country reporter Joanna Richards tells us a slow economy and rising costs means these nonprofit groups are struggling to keep up with increased demand for their services.