Most Active Stories
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
- Novelis defends itself in court against allegations of influencing union vote
- No bones about it, Utica College students learn more than anthropology in Albania
More News From WRVO
Onondaga Co. Legislature Votes on Two Major Bills Today
By Elizabeth Christensen
Syracuse, NY – The Onondaga County legislature is expected to vote on an amended clean indoor air bill today.
The anti-smoking legislation passed two weeks ago was changed slightly after County Executive Nick Pirro threatened to veto the measure.
This time around, smaller businesses will be given longer to comply with the bill, which outlaws indoor smoking in public places.
The bill would allow restaurants, taverns, and other businesses to build contained smoking areas that are seperately ventilated. Employees would not be forced into those areas.
The county legislature is also expected to vote today on the allotted Empire Zone acreage for the Destiny USA project. Local planners approved 33 additional acres for tax breaks. The expanded acreage would extend from Bear Street to the Inner Harbor area of Syracuse.
The Pyramid Companies already have Empire Zone status for the land stretching from the existing Carousel Center south to Bear Street.