Most Active Stories
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
- Tell Me More will leave WRVO's midday schedule; Q with Jian Ghomeshi moves in
- Novelis defends itself in court against allegations of influencing union vote
Around the Nation
Part-Time Judge Picks Laughs Over The Law
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Renee Montagne with an update on a joking judge. Vince Sicari presided as a part-time judge in South Hackensack, until his moonlighting as standup comic and TV actor took center stage. Because some of his characters were racist and homophobic, the state ethics committee ruled that he had to choose between laughs and the law.
He appealed but yesterday, New Jersey's Supreme Court also said: Choose. And Sicari resigned from the bench.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.