Most Active Stories
- Syracuse Hancock International Airport is looking west for continued growth
- Very contagious respiratory virus affecting children expected to hit central New York soon
- Keeping cool: how to treat hot flashes
- Contagious respiratory virus hits three children in central New York
- Environmentalists gear up for weekend climate change march in New York City
Planning To Fry That Turkey? Watch These Videos First
President Obama just gave two turkeys — Peace and Liberty — a ceremonial pardon. It's an on-again, off-again Thanksgiving tradition that goes back at least as far as the Lincoln administration, according to the White House.
But we want to point to another official act: The Department of Homeland Security's joining with those who warn about the dangers of turkey frying.
In two posts yesterday on its Twitter page, DHS said:
-- "Use turkey fryers outdoors at a safe distance f/ buildings. Never use turkey fryers in a garage or on a wooden deck."
-- "Make sure the turkey is completely thawed before placing in a fryer, or this may happen (video).
And that video from SafetyAtHome.com is indeed frightening.
For entertainment (and safety) purposes, you also might enjoy this clip from State Farm, starring Captain Kirk himself, William Shatner.
Please, we'd like you to be able to come back to see us next week. So take heed.
For some less combustible Thanksgiving table news, see our friends at The Salt blog.