Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
More News From WRVO
Revitalizating the Old Erie Canal
By Chris Ulanowski
Oswego, NY – The New York State Canal Corporation has been looking at ways to help revitalize canalway communities across Upstate New York. One recommendation advanced is to separate the Canal Corporation from the State Thruway Authority and support the canal system with tax dollars rather than Thruway tolls.
The Canal Corporation's Inter-Agency Task Force made the recommendation, which would need approval from the Governor and the State Legislature. WRVO's Chris Ulanowski spoke to a member of the State Assembly Transportation Committee, Amsterdam Democrat Paul Tonko about the proposal. Tonko, who is Chairman of the State Assembly Energy Committee, also responded to a question about National Grid's plan to hike electricity rates.