Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- Drone test site secures half its startup funding with state grant
- World War II veteran honored with Purple Heart 70 years after turning it down
More News From WRVO
Revitalizating the Old Erie Canal
By Chris Ulanowski
Oswego, NY – The New York State Canal Corporation has been looking at ways to help revitalize canalway communities across Upstate New York. One recommendation advanced is to separate the Canal Corporation from the State Thruway Authority and support the canal system with tax dollars rather than Thruway tolls.
The Canal Corporation's Inter-Agency Task Force made the recommendation, which would need approval from the Governor and the State Legislature. WRVO's Chris Ulanowski spoke to a member of the State Assembly Transportation Committee, Amsterdam Democrat Paul Tonko about the proposal. Tonko, who is Chairman of the State Assembly Energy Committee, also responded to a question about National Grid's plan to hike electricity rates.