Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
Role Of Maids Dusts Up Trouble For 'The Help'
"The Help," the best-selling novel about the life of black maids in segregated Jackson, Mississippi, successfully transitioned into a box office smash. Viola Davis and Octavia Spenser are nominated for Oscars. Many fans are dismayed the Academy's recognition goes to black women portraying domestics, a hated stereotype. NPR's Karen Grigsby Bates has more.