Most Active Stories
- National Grid says supply costs, cold temperatures impacted winter electric rate spikes
- Groups call growing oil shipments in NY Cuomo's "Keystone" moment
- Death is hard, but hospice can help patients and families
- New teachers union president wants to increase union's political potency
- App turns social media posts into charity dollars
Role Of Maids Dusts Up Trouble For 'The Help'
"The Help," the best-selling novel about the life of black maids in segregated Jackson, Mississippi, successfully transitioned into a box office smash. Viola Davis and Octavia Spenser are nominated for Oscars. Many fans are dismayed the Academy's recognition goes to black women portraying domestics, a hated stereotype. NPR's Karen Grigsby Bates has more.