Most Active Stories
- Some billing relief for National Grid customers after bitter winter
- Cortland among counties to pull out of SAFE Act pilot program
- Wegmans takes a stance on genetically modified food
- Groups call growing oil shipments in NY Cuomo's "Keystone" moment
- Nuclear waste facility in political and environmental limbo
Role Of Maids Dusts Up Trouble For 'The Help'
"The Help," the best-selling novel about the life of black maids in segregated Jackson, Mississippi, successfully transitioned into a box office smash. Viola Davis and Octavia Spenser are nominated for Oscars. Many fans are dismayed the Academy's recognition goes to black women portraying domestics, a hated stereotype. NPR's Karen Grigsby Bates has more.