Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
Royals Reveal New Baby's Name
ROBERT SIEGEL, HOST:
Finally this hour, the news that some of you at least have been anxiously awaiting. The royal baby has a name, several of them, in fact. George Alexander Louis. We'll break down that monitor for you now.
George is a name shared with the patron saint of England, not to mention the Beatle George Harrison and, of course, six prior kings of England. Alexander is the masculine form of the queen's middle name, Alexandra, and he shares Louis with his father, William Arthur Philip Louis. And stick with us now, that name also honors the baby's great-grandfather's uncle Louis Mountbatten. Mountbatten was assassinated by the Irish Republican Army in 1979.
A lot of history for one so small, George Alexander Louis. And while he grows into the name, he will be officially known as his Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)
SIEGEL: You're listening to ALL THINGS CONSIDERED from NPR News. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.