Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Geddes town supervisor talks SAFE Act with Cuomo
- Growing plants from seed ensures getting what you paid for
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
Politics and Government
Scott Armstrong on the Campbell Conversations
This edition of the Campbell Conversations completes an extended consideration of gun control and the NY SAFE Act. In prior weeks Grant Reeher has spoken with SUNY-Cortland Professor Robert Spitzer and Onondaga District Attorney Bill Fitzpatrick, both of whom saw a need for more regulation of gun ownership, while also noting possible problems with some of the approaches taken in the new state law.
In this week's conversation, Scott Armstrong, a political communications consultant and a former lobbyist for the NRA, takes a decidedly more critical view, seeing the law primarily as a burden on law-abiding gun owners, not a crime-fighting measure.