Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
More News From WRVO
SEIU 1199 Upstate and Downstate May Merge
By Elizabeth Christensen
Albany, NY – The upstate and downstate chapters of one of the state's most powerful labor unions may merge.
Hospital and nursing home workers represented by the Service Employees International Union, 1199 Upstate, may merge with it's downstate counterpart.
Both unions were instrumental in helping Governor Pataki be reelected to his second and third terms.
Union leaders say the merger is a logical step since the two factions work together on collective bargaining agreements.
If the merger is approved by members today, the new 1199 would be the state's largest and most powerful union.