Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Winter storm to bring heavy snow to the region Wednesday and Thursday
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- Oswego County nuclear plant shut down for the second time in less than a week
More News From WRVO
SEIU 1199 Upstate and Downstate May Merge
By Elizabeth Christensen
Albany, NY – The upstate and downstate chapters of one of the state's most powerful labor unions may merge.
Hospital and nursing home workers represented by the Service Employees International Union, 1199 Upstate, may merge with it's downstate counterpart.
Both unions were instrumental in helping Governor Pataki be reelected to his second and third terms.
Union leaders say the merger is a logical step since the two factions work together on collective bargaining agreements.
If the merger is approved by members today, the new 1199 would be the state's largest and most powerful union.