Most Active Stories
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
- Novelis defends itself in court against allegations of influencing union vote
- Tell Me More will leave WRVO's midday schedule; Q with Jian Ghomeshi moves in
More News From WRVO
Seneca Casino Close to Approval
By Elizabeth Christensen
Niagara Falls, NY – The U.S. Department of the Interior is expected to approve a Seneca-run casino in Nigara Falls in the next few days.
The green light would be the last major legal hurdle the tribe must clear to open a temporary casino on December 31.
Several anti-gambling groups have filed lawsuits protesting the project, but legal experts say those suits will not pose a serious challenge to the casino's approval.
State and regional officials hope the Seneca Casino will be a cash cow for the Buffalo Niagara region. They also hope the casino will keep residents and tourists from crossing the border and gambling at Casino Niagara on the Canadian side of the falls.