Most Active Stories
- Some billing relief for National Grid customers after bitter winter
- Cortland among counties to pull out of SAFE Act pilot program
- Wegmans takes a stance on genetically modified food
- Groups call growing oil shipments in NY Cuomo's "Keystone" moment
- Nuclear waste facility in political and environmental limbo
More News From WRVO
Seneca Nation Picks Name for New Casino
By Elizabeth Christensen
Niagara Falls, NY – The Seneca Nation's new casino on the American side of Niagara Falls will be called the "Seneca Niagara Casino."
The Nation held a contest to name the new gaming facility. About 500 entries were made. The winner is a Seneca Nation member from the Alleghany territory. She gets a five day vacation in the Bahamas for her efforts.
The casino logo will feature a picture of the American falls.
Seneca Nation Leader Cyrus Schindler says the name captures everything -- the nation's identity, the casino, and the location.
He says the waterfall also captures the importance of nature in Seneca culture.
But some, who are filing lawsuits in an attempt to keep the casino from being built, say the Nation is jumping the gun.
The Nation's casino compact has not yet been approved by the U.S. Department of Interior.
However, legal experts say the Department is likely to approve that compact within the month.