Most Active Stories
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Duffy will keep thoughts to himself on Moreland Commission
- Tell Me More will leave WRVO's midday schedule; Q with Jian Ghomeshi moves in
- Novelis defends itself in court against allegations of influencing union vote
Politics and Government
State GOP leader not happy with potential abortion law reform
Gov. Andrew Cuomo wants to update New York’s antiquated abortion laws to reflect rights affirmed in the landmark Roe v. Wade decision. But Senate GOP leader Dean Skelos says it goes to far.
"Expansion of late term abortion is extreme in my opinion. It’s not progressive, it’s extreme," said Skelos.
Sen. Skelos recently answered questions jointly with Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, who supports the proposal. The state chapter of the National Organization for Women says in a statement it is Skelos who holds the extreme position.
Cuomo has not yet released a bill detailing his proposal.