Most Active Stories
- Crashed Air Force drone was flying with gear that couldn't handle cold
- Empire Brewing Company says new brewery will create distinctive craft beers
- Schumer hopes federal funds will help local brewpub expand
- Teachers union not ready to reverse no confidence vote in education commissioner
- Small group protests possibility of housing Central American immigrants in Syraucse
Politics and Government
State GOP leader not happy with potential abortion law reform
Gov. Andrew Cuomo wants to update New York’s antiquated abortion laws to reflect rights affirmed in the landmark Roe v. Wade decision. But Senate GOP leader Dean Skelos says it goes to far.
"Expansion of late term abortion is extreme in my opinion. It’s not progressive, it’s extreme," said Skelos.
Sen. Skelos recently answered questions jointly with Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, who supports the proposal. The state chapter of the National Organization for Women says in a statement it is Skelos who holds the extreme position.
Cuomo has not yet released a bill detailing his proposal.