Most Active Stories
- In projects big and small, Watertown’s downtown reviving – but some say city government lacks vision
- Audio postcard: Sackets Harbor choral group rehearses
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand proposes new military sexual assault bill
- BP killing Cape Vincent Wind Farm
- Drone test site secures half its startup funding with state grant
Politics and Government
State GOP leader not happy with potential abortion law reform
Gov. Andrew Cuomo wants to update New York’s antiquated abortion laws to reflect rights affirmed in the landmark Roe v. Wade decision. But Senate GOP leader Dean Skelos says it goes to far.
"Expansion of late term abortion is extreme in my opinion. It’s not progressive, it’s extreme," said Skelos.
Sen. Skelos recently answered questions jointly with Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, who supports the proposal. The state chapter of the National Organization for Women says in a statement it is Skelos who holds the extreme position.
Cuomo has not yet released a bill detailing his proposal.