Most Active Stories
- National Grid says supply costs, cold temperatures impacted winter electric rate spikes
- New teachers union president wants to increase union's political potency
- App turns social media posts into charity dollars
- Death is hard, but hospice can help patients and families
- Education historian lashes out against Common Core during Syracuse visit
Politics and Government
State GOP leader not happy with potential abortion law reform
Gov. Andrew Cuomo wants to update New York’s antiquated abortion laws to reflect rights affirmed in the landmark Roe v. Wade decision. But Senate GOP leader Dean Skelos says it goes to far.
"Expansion of late term abortion is extreme in my opinion. It’s not progressive, it’s extreme," said Skelos.
Sen. Skelos recently answered questions jointly with Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, who supports the proposal. The state chapter of the National Organization for Women says in a statement it is Skelos who holds the extreme position.
Cuomo has not yet released a bill detailing his proposal.